Much is written these days about the drowning and justifiable, since it is the time when getting out on the seas and we must be vigilant. As they passed dozens of articles from my eyes daily, I thought that I had read everything on the subject. Until I found the site of Mario Vittone, which are top issues rescue and read the post titled Drowning Does not Look Like Drowning
It is a post of upsets you knew or what we thought we knew about the drowning. In essence explains how a man can drown beside you and you can not discern. I was so impressed by the post that I contacted him and asked permission to translate and publish it in Aspa Online. Also offered to send him a copy in Greek to include the translations published together with the original. Within less than an hour I had answered "yes" to both. Here, therefore Article, with the hope that as a result of this publication may someday save a human life.
The gut reaction Choking (Instinctive Drowning Response) - as named by Francesco A. also, Ph.D. is what people do to avoid actual or perceived as real suffocation in water. And it looks like that expect more. There is little splashing, no hand shake or voices or call for help of any kind. To get an idea of how quiet and calm it might seem from the outside drowning, consider this: It is the number two cause of death by accident in children 15 years and under (immediately after accidents with cars). From 750 children who will drown within the next year, the 375 of them are located 23 measures by a parent or another adult. In the 10% of these drownings, the adult monitors without having a clue what symvainei.O Drowning does not look like drowning.
Ο Dr. also, a magazine article On Scene coastguard, He described the instinctive drowning the reaction as follows:
- Except in rare cases, people drowned They are not physically able to shout for help. The respiratory system is designed for breathing. The speech is secondary function. breathing should be done, take place before the speech.
- The mouth of humans drowning sinks and comes above the water surface alternately. The mouth of people who drown do not stay long enough above the water to allow them to expire, inhale and shout for help. When the mouth of humans drowning is above the water surface, exhale and inhale quickly while their mouth begins to sink below the water surface.
- People drown can not shake hands for help. Nature instinctively forces them to extend their arms laterally and press down on the water surface. Pressing down on the water surface using their body as a lever that can draw the mouth out of the water to breathe.
- During gut reaction Choking, people drowning can not control their hand movements. Physiologically people drowning and struggling in the water surface They can not stop drowning and perform the movements they would like, like to shake hands for help, to move toward a rescuer or to stretch out his arms to catch rescue equipment.
- From beginning to end of the Instinctive Reaction choking people's bodies remain upright in the water, without a trace of support kicks walk. Unless rescued by a trained lifeguard, people drowning can fight on the water surface only 20 as 60 seconds before sink.
[Source: On Scene Magazine: Fall 2006 (page 14)]
This does not mean that a man yelling for help and make sudden jerky movements and faces no serious matter - is in stressful situation in water. Not always present before the instinctive drowning response to stressful situation in the water does not last long - but contrary to,what happens in the real drowning, these victims are still able to help bail them out. Can catch ropes rescue, lifejackets, etc..
also pay attention to the following signs of choking:
- Head low in the water, mouth at the level of the water surface
- Head tilted rearwardly, mouth open
- Look frozen and empty, you can not focus
- Closed eyes
- Hair over forehead or eyes
- Not using legs - vertical
- Pants or gasping
- Trying to swim in a specific direction but do not succeed
- They are trying to turn back
- It seems like they are trying to climb an invisible ladder
So if any of the crew falls overboard and everything looks OK - do not be so sure. Sometimes the most common indication that someone is drowning is that there seems to be drowning. It may seem like you bathe standing shaking hands and feet looking at the deck. A good way to make sure; Ask "Are you okay;"If you are able to answer, obviously. If you look with an empty gaze, you may have less than 30 seconds to reach. And parents - children playing in the water make a fuss. If any mollified, the approach to find out why.